This year, we celebrated Margaret Lockwood and Olivia de Havilland’s centennials via blogathons. 100 is a wonderful age (my grandmother is almost 100), but 90 too! On Fabruary 20, 2017, the great and iconic Sidney Poitier would turn 90. We are lucky he is still with us. ❤
As I love Poitier, I thought: Why not celebrate him with a blogathon! This is why I invite you to participate in the 90 Years of Sidney Poitier Blogathon! The event will take place from February 18 to February 20, 2016.
I must admit, I was very impatient to announce this event. As a matter of fact, this post is ready since July… I know he is loved by many, so I’m looking forward to your participation and your help to spread the word!
Huh, before you ask, I don’t want to wait 10 years to celebrate Poitier on his centennial
Sidney Poitier changed the curse of film history. He was the first African-American actor to win an Oscar (while Hattie McDaniel was the first actress) and, as his friend Harry Belafonte said, he also was the first African-American actor to be given more important roles. He is a real icon of anti-racism movies and that’s because of this and his talent as an actor that he highly deserves to be celebrated.
To participate to the 90 Years of Sidney Poitier Blogathon, I invite you first to read the few rules:
1- Choose a topic. It can be anything related to Sidney Poitier. I allow duplicates, but no more than 2 blogs on the same film/subject. Articles must be new material.
2- I will allow a maximum of two topics per blogs. Simply to give chances to other as I don’t allow duplicates.
3- Once you’ve chosen your topic, submit it in the comment section, via Twitter at @Ginnie_SP or via my e-mail address email@example.com.
4- Help me spread the world as I want this to be a big event: grab one of these banners to help me promote the blogathon on your blog.
5- On the blogathon days, I will update a new post where you would submit your entries. Don’t forget that it starts on February 18, 2017, and ends on February 20, 2017
6- If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask! And, most important of all: have fun!
Here is a list of the participant blogs and their subject
- The Wonderful World of Cinema – A personal tribute to Sidney Poitier
- Caftan Woman – The Slender Thread (1965)
- Christina Wehner – Band of Angels (1957)
- Phyllis Loves Classic Movies – Dual at Diabolo (1966)
- Musings of a Classic Film Addict – A Patch of Blue (1965)
- Moon in Gemini – To Sir, With Love (1967)
- Old Hollywood Films – Lilies of the Field (1963)
- Cinema Cities – The Defiant Ones (1958)
- The Midnite Drive-In – In the Heat of the Night (1967)
- Crimson Kimono – Pressure Point (1962)
- Pop Culture Reverie – Hanky Panky (1982)
- Katrina Selby (guest post at The Wonderful World of Cinema) – Edge of the City (1957)
- Critica Retrô – No Way Out (1950)
- Silver Screenings – No Way Out (1950)
- Classic Movie Hub Blog – To Sir, With Love (1967)
- Cinematic Scribblings – Lilies of the Field (1963)
- Realweegiemidget Reviews Films TV Books + more – David and Lisa (1998)
- No Nonsense with Nuwan Sen – To Sidney, With Love
- Champagne for Lunch – Mark of the Hawk (1957)
- The Flapper Dame – Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner (1967)
- LA Explorer – Blackboard Jungle (1955)
- Back to Golden Days – A Raisin in the Sun (1961)
- Classic Film Observations and Obsessions – Buck and the Preacher (1972)
- The Stop Button – Paris Blue (1961)
- Wide Screen World – Uptown Saturday Night (1974)
- Danny Reviews – A Raisin in the Sun (1961)
- Hamlette’s Soliloquy Hamlette’s Soliloquy – Blackboard Jungle (1955)
- Charlene’s (Mostly) Classic Movie Reviews – In the Heat of the Night (1967)
I’m impatient for this to happen! 🙂 Let’s honour Sidney the best we can!