I’m not someone who cries easily, but I would say that the thing that makes me the most emotional in life are movies.
Here, I present you pretty much all the movie scenes that makes me cry or at least make me have some tears in my eyes. Of course, I may have forgotten some because I’ve seen a lot of movies and sometimes I don’t remember everything, but the essential should be here.
These are not necessarily sad scenes. Most of them are, but some scenes make me emotional just because of the opposite: it’s too joyful or too beautiful.
These are not in a particular order, because it’s not really something you can rate (“when I watched this scene, I cried one tear, but when I watched this one, I cried 3 tears!” a bit silly no?)
I tried to provide a movie clip for most of the scenes, but I couldn’t always find one.
Warning: there are many spoilers here, a lot of movie ending or character’s death. But many of these scenes are from films a lot of people have seen (I think). So well, just be careful 😉
Well, here we go:
- When Virginia (Olivia de Havilland) goes home in The Snake Pit-
- When Hester (Betsy Blair) talks in The Snake Pit
- The end of Withering Heights, the 1939’s version (William Wyler thought this scene was a bit silly, but well).
- When Joe (William Holden) plays violin in Golden Boy ❤
- Carol’s (Teresa Wright) death in Mrs. Miniver
- The final scene of Mrs. Miniver
– “Here’s looking at you kid” scene from Casablanca
- When they sing La Marseillaise in Casablanca
– When Helen (Patty Duke) finally understands what a word is in The Miracle Worker
- – The Ending of The Inn of the Sixth Happiness
- When the little David (David Ladd) runs into Linnett Moore (Olivia de Havilland)’s harm and talks at the end of The Proud Rebel This is the whole movie, just look for the last 2 minutes (if you have seen the film of course!). or well, you can watch the entire movie, because it’s a good one.
- When Tod is abandonned in the forrest in The Fox and the Hound
- Bambi’s mother’s death in Bambi
- Final scene of All Quiet on the Western Front (both sad and beautiful)
- When the little John (Jackie Coogan) is taken by the authorities in The Kid
- The end of Modern Times (Chaplin is good at making people cry lol)
- It’s a Wonderful Life‘s ending (certainly not because it’s sad, just because it’s perfect)
- When Luke (Paul Newman) sings and plays the banjo after his mother’s death in Cool Hand Luke
- Spartacus‘s final scene
- John Merrick (John Hurt)’s last sleep in The Elephant Man
- When Clarissa (Jean Arthur) speaks to the phone with Smith’s mother in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (“She called me Clarissa! Alright Ma!” – gets me all the time) Look for 1:40:20 to to 1:40:54
- The ending of Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (look at the last 2-3 minutes)
- When Homer (Harold Lloyd) arrives at home at the beginning of The Best Years of our Lives
- Thelma & Louise‘s final scene
- Love in the Afternoon‘s final scene (Audrey is too adorable)
- Cinema Paradiso‘s final scene
- When Prewitt (Montgomery Clift) plays the trumpet after Maggio’s (Frank Sinatra) death in From Here to Eternity
- The ending of A Place in the Sun (this film is TOO sad)
- “As God is my witness, I’ll never be hungry again” scene from Gone With the Wind (so powerful)
- John Coffey (Michael Clarke Duncan)’s execution in The Green Mile
- Ashley (Leslie Howard)’s return in Gone with the Wind
- Melanie (Olivia de Havilland)’s death in Gone with the Wind
- When Scarlett (Vivien Leigh) says “After all tomorrow is another day” in Gone with the Wind. Ok, there’s nothing very special about saying that, but it’s just the way she says it that gets me!
- When Andy (Tim Robbins) and Red (Morgan Freeman) find each others at the end of The Shawshank Redemption
- Dead Poets Society‘s final scene
- Matt (Spencer Tracy)’s speech in Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner
- Breakfast at Tiffany‘s ending
- Life is Beautiful‘s ending
- THIS scene from Life is Beautiful:
- When Maria (Julie Andrews) sings the theme song at the beginning of The Sound of Music
- Maria (Julie Andrews)’s return in The Sound of Music
- Tony (Richard Beymer)’s death in West Side Story
- The little girl in red’s scene in Schindler’s List
- “I could have done more” scene from Schindler’s List (ok, pretty much the whole movie)
- Bubba (Mykelti Williamson)’s death in Forrest Gump
- Jenny (Robin Wright)’s death in Forrest Gump (especially when he gives her the letter written by their son)
- Dobby’s death in Harry Potter 7
- Rose’s dream at the end of Titanic (ok, I know this is cliché, but this scene makes me cry like a baby. Probably because it makes you realize everything that could have happen instead in the boat wouldn’t have sank)
- Let in Be scene from Across the Universe
- Lucy ( Evan Rachel Wood) and Jude (Jim Strugess) find each others again at the end of Across the Universe
- When Jo (Doris Day) learns her son has been kidnapped in The Man Who Knew Too Much
- The hospital scene in The Razor’s Edge
BONUS: When everybody cries at the end of Cry Baby! (ok, it doesn’t really make me cry, but I couldn’t not put it here ahah!- and the whole scene is pretty cool)
Ok, maybe there are some that I completely forgot, but I will update this if it’s the case!
If I had to choose the three scenes that make me the most emotional, I think I would go with the Dream Scene from Titanic, The “she knows” scene from The Miracle Worker and the final scene of Dead Poets Society
Ok, see you people!